"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve!

Porch Kitty came to visit today...


I've spotted her sleeping on my patio chair a couple of times before, but this is the first time that she didn't run away as soon as I opened the blinds.  In fact, she stayed curled up on the chair asleep for a good half hour or so before she suddenly vanished.  Just call it a Christmas miracle :)

I spent the day lounging about as usual, until I went to work in the evening.  It was sort of bittersweet.  Obviously, I'd prefer to be with my family on Christmas Eve instead of eating a frozen dinner and watching A Christmas Story on TV, but at the same time I realized and appreciated that I was getting to be a part of something special by staying in Dallas for my internship.  Every other Christmas Eve of my life has been spent in a white suburban church...this year I spent it with about 200 Filipino people.  Between a little girl running up and excitedly telling me that this is her first Christmas in America, and singing a verse of Silent Night in Tagalog, I realized what a truly unique and wonderful situation I have found myself in.  I could have wound up in any number of white suburban churches in Dallas similar to my home congregation for my internship...but I ended up working closely with a people group that I had no prior experience with, but which I have come to love.  This time last year, I never would have pictured my Christmas Eve looking like this.  But if I can't be with my family, I'm glad to have been able to spend it like this.  

Merry Christmas, everyone!  (Or, Maligayang Pasko, I should say)

Christmas Eve photo
(carrying on the family tradition even
without the family)





Natanaw na, sa silangan
Ang talang patnubay
Ng gabing katahimikan
Nang ang Sanggol sa lupa'y isinilang
Ng Birheng matimtiman
Sa hamak na sabsaban.


O Liniwag, o tanglaw
Ng gabing kay inam
tulog na o, Sanggol na hirang
Hilig ng sa sutlang kandungan
Ng Birheng matimtiman
Ikaw ay aawitan.

No comments:

Post a Comment