"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas (And Pseudo-Christmas Eve)!

Today started off like a normal work day, and really felt very much like any Sunday at work except that I told everyone "Merry Christmas" instead of "Good Morning".  I went to the worship service, hung out with some middle schoolers, and led a bunch of kids in the weekly fellowship lunch/games time.  Then, I went back home, hung around for a couple hours, threw my suitcase in the car, and drove off to the airport.

You would think that flying on Christmas would feel really strange, but it felt just like any other trip to the airport.  Surprisingly, my flight was completely full.  But, since I was one of the very first people to board the plane, I got a seat in the front row, and had sooooooo much leg room.  It was fantastic.  The leg room bonus even made up for the fact that the woman next to me was treating the plane seat like a La-Z-Boy and therefore infringing upon my personal space.  And, after an hour and a half, I arrived to an all but deserted airport terminal in St. Louis and literally ran across the terminal to my family, the only ones waiting to pick anyone up.  There may have been some tears.

Once we arrived back home, everything shifted into "Christmas Eve" mode...that is, all our family Christmas Eve traditions occurred, even though it's technically a day late.  This includes eating a bunch of shrimp and wearing new Christmas pajamas (which my dad had bought my sister and I as a surprise), and generally hanging about appreciating one another's presence.  Then I wrapped all of the gifts I had shipped to the house, plopped them under the tree, and here I am.  All ready to start Christmas while everyone else's Christmas is ending.

So Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment