"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Friday, December 16, 2011

Sick Day. Again.

I called in sick to work today, and subsequently slept until 3:30 in the afternoon.  I think it helped...I'm feeling somewhat better, if not completely better.  And, I actually had an appetite tonight, which was very good because I went to dinner at this AWESOME seafood restaurant.

I know, I know..."What are you doing going out to dinner when you called in sick to work?" you say.  But let me explain the extenuating circumstances: these dinner plans were with one of my very good friends here, who will be leaving to spend Christmas with her family on Monday and subsequently be gone for a month.  So, this was my last time to see her until like the end of January.  And also, I'm out of leftovers and still lacking the energy/desire to cook anything new.  So out to dinner I went, even on my sick day.

We ended up going to McCormick and Schmick's, which is a fancy seafood restaurant at the fancy mall.  This came about because we were trying to go to an Italian restaurant in said mall, but the wait was an hour and a half.  So we ended up at the seafood restaurant, which would generally be out of my price range, but we didn't want to leave the mall and by NOT eating at the Cheesecake Factory last night after all, I actually wouldn't be spending any more than I would have spent on two dinners this weekend anyway (make sense?).  And the food was, of course, soooo good.  I had salmon stuffed with brie, blue crab, and shrimp, served with broccoli florets and mashed potatoes, and Miranda and I split a slice of red velvet cheesecake for dessert.  It was expensive, but it was all kinds of delicious and really good quality fish, of course, and a wonderful dinner to commemorate the first time I've had an appetite in about a week.

After dinner, I snuggled back on the couch and watched Coco Before Chanel, which is a French movie about Coco Chanel (obviously).  I saw this movie when I was studying abroad in Paris in 2009, but had trouble following all the French without subtitles...so, I recently found it for cheap on DVD, and bought it so that I could watch it with subtitles and really follow the movie.  Unsurprisingly, I enjoyed the movie a lot more when I fully understood what was going on...I enjoyed it the first time, too, but there's something to be said for linguistic comprehension.



(Even though we like linguistic comprehension, the French trailer is better, in my opinion...so for you francophones...)


No comments:

Post a Comment