"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Day Which Was Good.

Random thought of the day: When real-life movie stars play normal people in movies set in the present time, does that mean that in that fictional movie-world, their real-life movie star persona doesn't exist?

Think about it.  We're coming back to it later.

Today was a very good day of several very good things.  First, the bridesmaid dress adventure: my friend Miranda needed to get a bridesmaid's dress for a wedding that she will be in this summer, and my friend Rachel and I came along to her appointment at David's Bridal for no real reason other than to frolic amidst fancy dresses, dig through racks looking for specific sizes, muse about personal wedding dress preferences, and offer our wise second opinions about the caliber to which each dress contributed to the general fantastic-ness of Miranda's appearance.  It was a good time.  After the perfect bridesmaid dress was acquired, we went across the street to the mall and had similar adventures in Forever 21, before hopping off to lunch at Pei Wei, where much good conversation and tasty Asian food was to be had.

After our morning adventures, we went back to Miranda's house to "help" her housemate Amy make shortbread cookies (not that we were really too much help, because she had things pretty well in hand).  So we just hung out and munched on shortbread cookies and cupcakes, while I finished translating the first portion of the Pray for France prayer guide to English (yay for work productivity!).  Eventually, Rachel and Amy ran off to the Nuevo Dia, a new Spanish ministry some people from Perkins are starting, and Miranda and I continued "working" on homework...though, we got more complaining done than actual work.  Despite making huge strides in work for my job, I really got nothing done in the way of schoolwork (again).  This...is a problem.  I'll be hitting the library or White Rock Coffee tomorrow afternoon for sure.  Things are starting to look tight...my Valentines Day plans, which currently consist of eating an Indian dinner with a bunch of people, may turn into a paper-writing/reading festival.  I have GOT to kick my butt into gear.  Here is my to-do list as it recently stands (as in the things that must be completed by Thursday...and which were intended to be accomplished this weekend, and many of which will need to be done BEFORE Thursday)

-Plan how I'm going to lead my Spiritual Formation class for an hour and a half this week
-Read the chapter necessary to do lead that class
-Write my New Testament Paper
-Review the book necessary to write that paper, and outline it before actually writing
-70ish pages of Prayer and Spirituality Reading
-Start reviewing the book for my Prayer and Spirituality presentation next week
-Read 160 pages for my education class, and answer a ton of questions about them (or skim the book enough to find the answers to these questions...last week's questions took me an hour and a half to answer)
-Write up self-care journals for the past few weeks for Spiritual Formation

The unfortunate thing is that this list, daunting as it is, doesn't even include the normal class reading for my church history and New Testament classes that I have (unfortunately) become accustomed to skipping.  

Grad school is intense.

So yes, I'll be busy tomorrow.  Church in the morning, homework until my women's small group in the evening, and homework the rest of the night.  We'll see where that gets me...

Now back to my original question...do real-life movie stars cease to exist in the fictional world of the movies in which they play normal characters?  See, I was watching Music and Lyrics tonight, and that movie makes a lot of pop culture references....and it made me think, if Hugh Grant is playing pop-star Alex Fletcher in this movie, then does Hugh Grant the actor still exist in that world?  If someone said something to Alex Fletcher about Hugh Grant, would the character know who that was?  And if someone walked up to the character Sophie Fisher (a completely normal person with no fame at all) and said she looked JUST like Drew Barrymore, would she know what they were talking about?

It makes you think.

In other news, I LOVE Drew Barrymore's wardrobe in that movie.  Every time I watch it I want to run out and buy a bunch of new clothes.  It's a problem.  It's also probably a good thing that the movie ended at 11:00pm, when all the stores are closed.

Leave comments about the movie star+movie character conundrum.  I'm interested to know your opinions...

2 comments:

  1. I think there are times when both are true... Like Julia Roberts in one of the Ocean movies had to pretend to be Julia Roberts. Probably the exception to the rule if I had to guess though...

    I feel the same way about grad school sometimes. I am afraid to make my similar list, because I think it would just intimidate me out of getting a lot done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to mention what Sarah mentioned. Its an individual choice of the filmmaker.As I recall that decision to have Julia Roberts as an actress acknowledged in the movie came off as too campy in most reviews so I don't expect it to come up too often in films. Somewhat related, Hitchcock made casual appearences in several of his films, as does Quentin Tarantino. Adding the director of a movie to the cast adds another dimension to the whole universe. But we're really thinking about too deeply. Anyway, I'm glad you had a good day and I'm sorry I'm all late. You know how I be. :)

    ReplyDelete