"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day, Round Two

Yes, the chicken-buyers have another point in their favor....this was the second day that SMU cancelled classes due to "inclement weather."  Word on the street is that the university will be open for business as usual tomorrow (much to the chagrin of practically everyone, students and professors alike).  Let me tell you, no one can make a Facebook fuss the way that seminary students can.  Every status I've seen from Dallas-ites has contained three key elements:  1) OMG there's so much ice!!, 2) OMG SMU is stupid for being open tomorrow!!, and 3) OMG I'm praying for your safety!!!  Now don't get me wrong...there IS a lot of ice, SMU MIGHT be making the wrong decisions, and praying is always a good option...I'm just saying all the Facebook statuses are getting redundant.

That being said, of my two classes scheduled for tomorrow, one professor has emailed to cancel class, and the other has sent out a vague email implying that it's okay for us to skip class if we want to, but that we're having class anyway, but since the lectures are recorded there's no real point in coming in.  So we'll see...it's possible that SMU will email out a retraction email of their statement that classes resume tomorrow - every area school district is closed, as well as all the other universities in the city.  I ventured outside briefly today in a test-walk to the mail room (a grand 30 feet or so away from my apartment), and while the sidewalks and grass were still covered with ice, the parking lot itself didn't look so bad.  The thing about living with ice in Dallas is that the city experiences real "winter" so little that it's hard to tell if people are saying the roads are bad because they're ACTUALLY bad, or if they're saying the roads are bad because they've only seen ice in snow cones.  My plan for tomorrow is to hang about (productively, hopefully) in the morning, and around 3:00 or so walk up to the road and look at it, and judge if it looks drive-able, and then decide about going to my 4:30 class.

And now you know all about the snow and ice in my life.  Congratulations.

Now on to what I did today: nothing.  Absolutely nothing...at least, in the way of academic productivity.  When I went to do my class reading for tomorrow (before knowing they were cancelled), I discovered that I'd already done it.  Since I have three day weekends anyway, I didn't feel a great motivation to work ahead for other classes.

Here's a quick re-cap of what I did while doing nothing:
-Woke Up
-Checked Email...discovered school closing
-Went back to bed for 4 hours
-Woke up to phone call from Jessica, the high school best friend.
-Talked to Jessica
-Lunch: Lime Chicken Taco with Red Peppers and Onions, and homemade taco shell (yeah, I'm fancy)
-Watched an episode of "Friends"
-Phone call with mom
-CCFOF research, of the event planning and people profile variety
-Facebooked excessively
-Watched "The Swan Princess" in French during the previous two activities
-Exercised with the Wii Fit
-Facebooked excessively while watching television
-Watched "Practical Magic", which I recorded on DVR in October at my mother's suggestion
-Paused "Practical Magic to make dinner: grilled chicken and swiss sandwich, perfectly hardboiled eggs (I was proud), and cheese and crackers
-Resumed "Practical Magic" over dinner; quite enjoyed the movie
-Facebooked excessively
-Called Brandi (the Transy best friend) to complain about silly things
-Talked to Brandi forever
-Facebooked some more, while watching "I Used to be Fat" on MTV
-Watched "Pretty in Pink" while writing this blog post

And there you have it.  My day of nothing.  Tomorrow, I'm planning on hitting the books again...now that I've had ample time to be bored of NOT hitting the books.

By the way, did you know that the expression "You can't have your cake and eat it too" is a corruption of the original proverb, which actually says "Would you eat your cake, and still have it?", which makes a lot more sense if you think about it.  I just thought I'd let you know that I managed to learn something even while doing nothing.

As for goals for February: I've decided to focus on the following: Get Fit, Eat Healthy, Build Self-Confidence, Improve Study Skills, and Rejuvenate Relationship with God...as well as Explore Dallas, as time allows.  More specific goal steps to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment