"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Friday, February 11, 2011

Truths Universally Acknowledged

It is a truth universally acknowledged that an unmarried lady who is a fan of Jane Austen films must be in want of a silly mini-series based on "Pride and Prejudice."  In deference to this truth, I spent a good deal of today and yesterday watching "Lost in Austen," in which an avid Jane Austen reader suddenly finds herself switched places with Elizabeth Bennett after the latter wanders in through a door in her bathroom (yeah, that's right).  Amanda (as this modern-day person is named) proceeds to cause a lot of chaos that completely derails the story (like causing Jane to end up marrying Mr. Collins and Mr. Bingley to run of with Lydia) and discovers that a lot of things are different then they seem (Miss Bingley is secretly a lesbian, for example).  It's all kinds of ridiculous, and thoroughly enjoyable.  Behold here the trailer, complete with dramatic narration:



So yes, that claimed a four hour chunk of my weekend.  Time well spent, if you ask me.

The general splendor of Cafe Brazil
Other time well spent was making a new friend over coffee today!  Friendship and coffee always lead to happy things.  We went to Cafe Brazil; if I haven't mentioned this place in this blog before, it's a miracle because my SMU friends and I go there all the time.  Although, I think I've only been one other time this semester, so maybe I haven't mentioned it.  It's a colorful yet fairly unassuming place, with good coffee, and good food, and REALLY good smores hot chocolate (unfortunately that was a seasonal thing, so it has vanished from my life).  I haven't had anything there that I haven't liked.  The sign outside was advertising "unique, healthy options" for awhile...and while my friends and I find this to be a complete and utter lie and a prime example of false advertising, it's a tasty place.  If you ever visit me in Dallas, there is a 99% chance that we will go there.

After coffee, I decided to set out for the undergraduate library to try and get some work done (the theology school library (Bridwell) closes at 6 on Fridays).  Although, when all was said and done, I could have just gone to Bridwell, because by 5:10 (only about 20 minutes after arriving) I decided that I wasn't in a homework mood and left.  I think that I can't work in ugly places....somehow, I got lost and I ended up in the science and engineering section of the library, which is REALLY ugly.  I need to be in pretty places to get real work done.  But, I didn't want to wander aimlessly around the library (I hate not looking like I know where I'm going when everyone else knows exactly what's going on), and since I didn't have a ton of motivation I just came back to the apartment...where I have spent a completely unproductive evening including a great deal of television and Facebook and "Phantom of the Opera" in French.  I always find it hard to motivate myself to do homework on Fridays, since I have Saturdays and Sundays off as well, and no class until 4:30 on Mondays.  I do have a great deal of work to do, though, so I'm hoping to get a lot done tomorrow (after I go bridesmaid dress shopping for my friend Miranda in the morning (she's the bridesmaid, my friend Rachel and I are tagging along)).  Sometimes I need to be somewhat pressed for time to get real work done.

I also think I may have had a vocational breakthrough tonight.  More on that later, though...I want to get my thoughts straight before I  have a blog post about it.

Also, a France conference update: it's November 20-22, which is the week of Thanksgiving, but not Thanksgiving itself.  As for financing, the idea right now is that the organization would pay for some of the trip, and I would raise some money to cover the rest (like a missionary-esque situation).  This could be troublesome, since most of my friends are students and can't really afford to give money away.  So we'll see...it's still a possibility, just a bit more complicated.  I'd love to be able to go, and hopefully it will work out!

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment