"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Friday, March 25, 2011

Je suis fatiguee...

You know those moments when you're so tired that even going to bed seems like too tiring of an activity to engage in?  Yeah...that's where I'm at.  Metaphorically, anyway.  Physically, I'm laying on my couch, staring at my laptop with a Snuggie thrown haphazardly over my upper body and cartoons playing on the TV in the background.  I would get up and go to bed, but it just seems so far away at the present...

I blame the present exhaustion on three factors.

Factor #1: I had to wake up 2 hours earlier than usual to welcome maintenance people who came to "inspect the GFI outlets in the kitchen," which apparently meant just replacing the outlet covers?  I don't know what they did exactly, it all looks the same to me...they're doing this to all the apartments, not just mine.  Basically, there was a pounding on my door along with an enthusiastic declaration of "maintenance!"  I opened the door to a cavalier company of three men, who marched into the kitchen and messed about with the outlets for 10 minutes or so while I chatted with Ruben the lead maintenance guys (we became BFFs during all the flood nonsense, you know), and then they all marched back out and the outlets all looked basically the same as they did before they started.  Weird.

Factor #2: An extensive quest all over the grocery store in search of red lentils, which I know for a fact used to be abundantly available for sale in the rice and bean isle, and which naturally vanished the week I decide to make sweet potato and red lentil soup.  I settled for some non-red lentils eventually, which still took a great deal of work to hunt down.  I'm pretty sure that they just magically appeared there on my 4th trip down that aisle.

Factor #3: I did my socializing thing at a triple birthday party for much of the night (my friends Rachel and Sarah and this guy George all have March birthdays so they combined parties into one celebration).  As parties generally do, this required general extroversion and merry-making and standing and sitting and chatting and laughing and loudness and the like.  It also included grilling out and assorted cupcakes and taco dip.  Tasty tasty things.  It also included alcohol, of which I did not partake, although I did vastly enjoy the comment my friend Erin made when she saw me holding a red Solo cup (of water) in one hand and a chocolate cupcake in the other and, sizing me up, said "You lush!"  That's me...lush-ing it up at the party.  All in all, it was a fun night.  All in all it was a fun night; chatted with friends, met new people, looked all cute and stuff.  And, despite the presence of approximately 18 cars crowding the (albeit spacious) driveway, I actually didn't get horribly blocked in, which was also good.

So now I'm all sleepy and stuff.  But I'm still awake.  Why?

I don't know really.  So I'm going to bed.

Bonne soiree :)

1 comment:

  1. I AGREE! I didn't even make it to the party because I was already there because I was so tired, I'm glad it was fun though!

    ReplyDelete