"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Monday, March 21, 2011

A Rambley Post With No Concrete Direction

The first day of implemented "reading is my favorite" mentality served me well.  All in all, I'd say that I got somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 pages of reading done for class.  That, my friends, is what we call a marked improvement.  Also, I spent probably an hour doing Facebook/Youtube related things throughout the whole day.  This is another giant improvement.  I also resisted random internet browsing while in class, cooked a vaguely complex baked pasta, did my new daily Bible devotional, straightened my hair, played the guitar, made up hours for my job, and went out to dinner with some women from my class (not in that order).  It's amazing how much time you have when you aren't on the internet all the time.  I feel pathetic saying that, but it's true.

Furthermore, in the course of these class readings, I've been reading Thomas Moore's The Dark Night of the Soul for a report for my "Prayer and Spirituality" class.  In the process, I've been having some major insights into my own dark night through which I am currently traversing, and found some hope in the process.  But, I'm kind of still in the process of developing these thoughts, so I'll get back to you with more details.  Also, I think I've found the opportunity for a wonderful mentor-esque connection with the two women I went to dinner with tonight.  They are at once older/wiser than me (40+ in age), but they're simultaneously my peers as my classmates.  Every time I speak with these ladies, I end up feeling encouraged, revitalized, and affirmed in my presence in seminary.  I'm thinking I ought to spend more time with them.

So the first day back from spring break was highly productive.  Two thumbs up.

Also, Dallas feels like summertime.  Right now, this is beautiful and wonderful, and I get to lay out by the pool and do class reading and wear flip-flops in March.  It's awesome.  But still, I know that the REAL summer of 110+ degrees is yet to come, and I'm not looking forward to that so much.

The only thing I didn't accomplish today that I intended to do was some Wii Fit exercise; ironically, that was replaced with a trip to Backyard Burgers with Kristi and Pam (the aforementioned women of awesomeness), which might not have been the healthiest of things but was super nourishing for my soul.  So that's okay.  I also fell about 20 pages short of reading I hoped to accomplish and didn't get to do a Blackboard post for my church history class, but that's alright.  I already got a lot more done than I usually do...all because I turned this silly computer off.

No comments:

Post a Comment