"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sunday, May 29, 2011

All Greek-ed Out

Well, I've been working on Lesson 1 out of my Greek textbook for about the last 2.5-3 hours my life (not counting the 1-1.5 hours I spent working on this lesson earlier this week).  I have come to the conclusion that this class is going to be INTENSE.  I'm hoping the lessons will go a bit faster once I become more comfortable with the letters and things (different alphabet, you know), but it's definitely not the sort of class that you can slack off in and still be fine the next day.  Thankfully, I have enough experience with foreign languages to know that this is the case.  I'll just have to make sure I really stay on top of everything.  I have high hopes at the moment.  It'll definitely be an interesting six weeks of Greek-ification!

It's actually kind of been blowing my mind that little kids learn an entire letter system and their pronunciation and how to read it all with relative ease...I don't remember it being this hard to learn English.  It's really remarkable; to me, the Greek letters look like a bunch of gibberish, but a Greek kid could rattle off their names and read the language easily.  It makes me all impressed with the minds of children.

In less intellectual news, I totally watched Gnomeo and Juliet today, and it was all fantastic.  Seriously.  I loved it.  It's one of those movies that is just delightful in every way.  Also, Elton John was a producer on the film...did you know that?  I thought that was odd, but that it made perfect sense at the same time.

Anyway, I'd write more, but like I said I'm all Greek-ed out, and I need to get to bed early so I can start being a morning person who will be appropriately bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 8:30 classes all month.  Off to bed with me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment