"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Friday, May 20, 2011

My "Life is a Dashing and Bold Adventure"

...or so said my fortune cookie at Pei Wei the other day.  I liked that fortune.  It's quite complimentary and makes me seem like an exciting person, and it's way less creepy than my other recent fortune cookie that said "someone is watching you from afar."

In any case, today I got to share some stories from my dashing and bold adventure of a life back in the place where these bold adventures all started - Eureka High School.  My former French teacher invited me to come and speak to the French IV classes about the world of French beyond the high school classroom...majoring in French, study abroad, using French in a career, and what have you.  So I gathered up some photos, and popped off to EHS to have me a little blast from the past while potentially inspiring some teenagers.

As soon as I stepped in the door, into the commons, it was like I had stepped back in time.  That sounds cliche, but I'm not just talking about the building here.  I'm talking about the vibrant energy of high school life that pervades the place.  I happened to arrive right in the midst of lunch hour/passing time, so as soon as I walked in there were kids EVERYWHERE, moving in the same giant clusters that we always moved in, forcing me to dodge around groups just like I always used to do (I always seemed to be moving against the tide - symbolic?).  Still, I got over to the office, signed myself in, got my fancy "Visitor" badge, and met my old French teacher (and favorite high school teacher), Madame Denure.

Madame et moi, 2005
Me and Madame go way back.  Or, at least, we go back to 2003, when I first had her for a teacher.  She was my teacher for French II/III (my sophomore and junior years), and her class really laid the foundation for my future language studies.  Like I always told my tutorees, if you don't get the basics down, you can never speak the language.  Well, I learned the basics at EHS, and it definitely served me well.  Today, Madame Denure actually pulled out an old video cassette (yeah, video cassette) of one of my group projects from French III - a "newscast" of sorts.  And there I was, all high-school-y and speaking in French, reading my speech off a sheet of paper in choppy, vaguely mispronounced French.  That video alone was awesome to see, because it really showed me how far I've come in my French speaking ability.  It also provided an ego-boost before speaking to the high schoolers today...I may read, write, and translate French all the time, but I haven't spoken it extemporaneously and for an extended period of time for about 7 months, so I was a bit nervous.

Madame et moi, 2011
My first trip to France in 2005 was also under the guidance of Madame Denure, who led a group of about 20 EHS students on a two-week tour of the Loire Valley/Normandy regions of France.  She was hugely encouraging to me during that trip (particularly the night before my host family stay, when I completely dissolved into a ball of panic).  That trip was the start of my international travels (not counting a family excursion to Toronto when I was about 7) - you might say it was the first "dashing and bold adventure" of my life.  So yes, it was wonderful seeing Madame Denure again today, and reminiscing about all those things.

I really enjoyed speaking to the high school kids...they were surprisingly enthusiastic and engaged, and I think that a vast majority of them were following my French fairly well.  I even got them to laugh several times at things I said IN FRENCH, which is good for two reasons: first, because it proves they understood what I was saying, and second, because it shows that my boundless wit transcends languages.  Fabulous.  I also had a sizable slideshow of photos that were fun visual aids and helped keep the kids engaged.  They particularly liked seeing Vaux-le-Vicomte, where The Man in the Iron Mask was filmed; it turns out that Madame Denure's classes watched that movie this week!  How ironic is that?  Then again, it IS the best film of all time, so it's only natural that people should be watching it all the time.

After speaking to two classes, Madame Denure took me on a tour of the renovations they've made to EHS over the last five years.  To any past Eureka-nites who might be reading this, you have GOT to get yourself in this building to snoop around.  It's crazy...like the school has just exploded.  It's absolutely massive, and everything is all shuffled around.  There are foreign language classrooms where the library used to be, a library where the art classrooms used to be, art classrooms where the math classrooms used to be, and math classrooms hovering above the school on the second floor (yeah, second floor) of a hallway they built connecting the back ends of the language arts/history hallways.  The music wing has exploded too, with the band room expanding out the back door where we used to practice for Color Guard, and the choir room where the band room once was.  Hallways everywhere are expanded or lengthened, there's classrooms tucked in everywhere...it's really remarkable.  And bizarre.  It was really cool to see.

So that was my day today, when my dashing and bold adventure of a life went back to its roots to talk about the things that have happened since.  It's funny, really...the general attitude toward high school foreign language classes tends to be one of "that's nice", or "just something you have to get through."  But in reality, my life would have been entirely different if I hadn't taken those French classes at EHS.  Besides the obvious fact that I likely wouldn't be bilingual today, I also wouldn't have had the opportunity to study in Paris for a semester or immerse myself in Quebecoise life for a few weeks.  I wouldn't have pushed my leadership abilities as a president of my college French club, and I wouldn't know of the wonderful delights of La Bonne Bouchee bakery down in Creve Coeur.  I certainly wouldn't have my job with the CCFOF, and I doubt that I would have nearly the understanding of the intricacies of the interaction of religion and secularity that I possess.  My final religion paper wouldn't have taken Islam and the French Identity for it's topic, and it's likely that my knowledge of and compassion for the plight of Muslim immigrants in France would be far less than they are.  I may not have been a fluent French speaker after my high school French classes, but my high school French experience definitely laid the foundations for something much greater to unfold.

All those dashing and bold adventures have to start somewhere, after all :)

  2005                                                                                                                2009                          

1 comment:

  1. Aww you were totally cute in your pictures. high school and present. You know I noticed a theme in your blogposts: you like to write about small things making a large difference in your life. I've noticed that you've written about this a few other times. Anyway, good one. it's cute to think how different yoou w oould have been without french in your life.

    ReplyDelete