"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Last Day at the Grandparents'

Just a quick note to acknowledge that it's the last day of our visit to the family homesteads of West Virginia.  We set off on our return trip in the morning, and will arrive back in good ol' St. Louis on Saturday afternoon.  All in all, it's been a good trip, and as usual I will probably be sad to say goodbye.

Some quick tidbits about today's happenings: we spent the morning with my mom's family doing the country thing again, then traveled with my paternal grandmother out to Pennsylvania to pick up some old family documents (specifically, a Bible from 1854 and a 19th century photo album) from a woman who contacted my aunt via a geneology website in answer to a posting looking for documents pertaining to the Wiesner family (my great-grandmother's maiden name).  Both items are super cool, and I would post photos of them but I'm using my grandmother's computer and therefore don't have access to my photos.  I'm planning to write a post where I wax poetically about the glories of family and heritage and whatnot, so they'll show up here in the near future, I'm sure.  After obtaining the Bible and album, we drove out to Funkstown, MD where my late grandfather grew up, and saw his childhood home and the tavern that my great-grandmother ran.  The day wrapped up with a family trip to Olive Garden.

And now, I'm off to read some of The Great Gatsby (my current read-for-fun book) and get some sleep before the long car ride tomorrow...even though I will undoubtedly spend a great deal of that car ride sleeping anyway.  But I could definitely use some sleep after this busy week!

No comments:

Post a Comment