"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Theatre, The Theatre....

Note: The title of this post must be read in a hoity-toity British voice.


You may now proceed.

Today I participated in the quasi-traditional Girls' Day theatre/dinner combination with my grandmother, aunt, mother, and sister.  We've gone to several plays together over the years.  My mom attended college at a music conservatory not too far from my parents' hometown, and we would often travel there during our visits to see a musical or two.  Today, we actually went to a different place: the Wayside Theatre, in a little Virginia town whose name I have since forgotten.  The theatre was charming and unpretentious, housed in a space that felt intimate yet professional.  Our seats were in the very front row, center: up close and personal.

The play that we were seeing was The Nerd, by Larry Shue.  Quick plot synopsis: The main character (Willum) is a Vietnam veteran whose life was saved by an anonymous fellow soldier (Rick).  The two have been in correspondence for years, but have never met: until Rick shows up on Willum's doorstep one night in acceptance of Willum's open invitation to come and stay with him whenever he had need of it.  But, Rick's outlandish social mannerisms (or lack of social mannerisms, however you'd like to think of it) throws Willum's life (and dinner party) into complete chaos.  It's really quite the clever play, and it got more and more ridiculous by the second.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and encourage you to go see it if ever you have the chance. You'll laugh your head off.  You may also never eat deviled eggs again.

Yum.
Part two of the day was dinner at the nearby Golden Corral, where I stuffed myself silly on an assortment of buffet fare (it really didn't look like that much food on my plate), and ate some absolutely wonderful bread pudding.  Say what you will about chain homestyle buffet restaurants, but the bread pudding is awesome.

As might be expected, I spent my post-buffet evening curled up in my grandfather's old green recliner and watching Modern Family on TV (the one where Cam gets sick and Mitchell is all conflicted about what to do with their Lady Gaga tickets).  Only one more full day left at the grandparents...

No comments:

Post a Comment