"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Monday, October 31, 2011

Failure. And Pride and Prejudice

Today was mostly a failure as far as productivity was concerned.  I got myself in a funk over grades this morning (I've gotten in this A- slump that I can't seem to get out of), and it wasn't particularly conducive to paper-writing.  Nonetheless, I finished my Old Testament paper, and got a bit more work done on my internship paper, but not as much as I'd hoped, and I haven't touched my children's ministry presentation at all since last Thursday.  Not good.

I did go to the gym today, so that's a plus.

But all of this is depressing and boring, and so I'd rather talk about Pride and Prejudice, which I watched tonight and realized how many good lines there are in it.  Here's a list of my favorites.  Also, I realize none of this has to do with Halloween, but there wasn't anything Halloween-related about my day except that I watched The Lost Boys before Pride and Prejudice (all this while trying to keep working on my internship paper, by the way).

"Miserable he may be, but poor he most certainly is not."

"I give you leave to like him, you've liked many a stupider person."

"If Jane does die, it will be a comfort to know it was in pursuit of Mr. Bingley."

"Apparently Lady B--- is redecorating her ballroom in the French style.  A little unpatriotic, don't you think?"

"It's not a pleasure that she's ill...of course...it's a pleasure that she's here...being ill..."

"I never heard of a young lady but people say she is accomplished."

"I think a ball is a perfectly irrational way to make new acquaintance.  It would be better if conversation, instead of dancing, were the order of the day."

"Oh believe me, no one would suspect your manners to be rehearsed."

"After dinner I thought I might read to you all for an hour or two"

"Oh Mr. Wickham!  How perfect you are!"

"That 'gentleman' barely warrants the name."

"We are all fools in love."

"I can't help believing that at any point this evening someone is going to produce a piglet and bid us chase it."

"Almost as soon as I entered the house, I singled you out as the companion of my future life.  But before I am run away with my feelings, let me first state my reasons for marrying.  Firstly, that it is the duty of a clergyman to..."

"A girl likes to  be crossed in love every now and again.  It gives her something to think on...a sort of distinction among her companions."

"There are few people in England who have more true enjoyment of music than myself.  Or better natural taste.  If I had ever learned, I should have been a great proficient."

"What are men compared to rocks and mountains?"

"Take care my love.  That savors strongly of bitterness."

"These great men are never at home."

"You must all go to Brighton.  That is the place to get husbands."

"I think you are in great danger of making him as much in love with you as ever."

"First...I must...I must tell you I've been the most unmitigated and comprehensive ass."

"I knew she could not be so beautiful for nothing."

"Heaven and earth!  Are the shades of Pemberly to be thus polluted?"

"You have insulted me in every possible way and can now have nothing further to say."

"You have bewitched me body and soul, and I love...I love...I love you.  I never wish to be parted from you from this day forward."

No comments:

Post a Comment