"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Monday, September 5, 2011

Happy Labor Day!

It's that time of year again when the majority of Americans celebrate their lives in the workforce with a three-day weekend.  Unfortunately, as we've already established, I did not receive the delight of a three day weekend since my standard days off are Saturday and Monday, but I did make the most of Labor Day today!

First of all, the weather was absolutely beautiful today - upper 80s with a cool breeze!  Quite a nice change from the stuffy 105 degrees that we Dallas-ites have grown familiar to this summer (we're in a drought, don't you know).  After waking up at a leisurely 9:30am, I did a bit of class reading before heading out to Arlington for the day to see my boyfriend, Josh- another perk of Labor Day holidays: even though it's not a holiday for me, it's a holiday for him and therefore gave us an extra day to spend together!

Josh had planned another surprise date for the day, this time to Kincaid's Hamburgers, in Fort Worth (my favorite Texas city, by the way).  Kincaid's has been around since the 1940s, and has won all sorts of burger awards and been featured in all sorts of food magazines ever since then.  It started out as a market, and you can still buy random canned food items in addition to your burger, which comes to you straight from an unassuming counter at the back of the store, surrounded by teal-green walls that are at once reminiscent of 1960s decor and dental scrubs.  To complete the atmosphere, we dined on picnic tables, complete with red and white checkered tablecloths.  Neither Josh nor I had been to Kincaid's before (he learned about it in a brochure he found somewhere), but we both gave it a good review!  I love finding fun little local places like that!
Digging into a Kincaid's burger!

A Delicious Fort Worth Landmark!
Hanging out at the Water Gardens :)

After our lunch, we ventured onward to the Fort Worth Water Gardens, which is a collection of large fountains in the middle of downtown - quite romantic and lovely in the cool autumn-like weather.  A lovely way to spend the afternoon!  Then, in the evening, I headed back into Dallas for my friend Kelly's birthday party, which was at Sherlock's English Pub.  Although it's a popular destination among Perkins students, I'd never been to Sherlock's until tonight - it was really fun!  Although it's a bar atmosphere, it's much more laid back and pub-style, and decorated with old books and bookcases.  They also had bingo games going, which I lost consistently (I don't even remember the last time I won a game of bingo.  Wait, yes I do.  It was when I tagged along with my friend Ashley to a bingo night at Maryville University, and actually won.  But that was 4 years ago).  It was a good group of people, and a good night all around.

The birthday girl and I!

Our failed bingo cards

And now, I'm heading back into reality - work tomorrow, class in the evening, and studying it up hardcore tomorrow night!!  The last few days were so busy with work and social stuff that I really didn't get as much reading done as I wish I had...but isn't that always how it goes?  In any case, I had a good weekend overall, and a great day today...and that's a good way to head into the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment