"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Monday, January 3, 2011

A Post in Three Parts

This post will come to you in three parts:

Part One: The Junk Food Epidemic of Early 2011

Like most Americans, I have made the resolution vow to "eat healthier in 2011."  That being said, let me quickly recount my diet since the clock struck midnight on New Years Eve: Papa Johns Pizza (two meals), Pop Tarts, Macaroni and Cheese, Steak and Shake, Sonic, and Crab Rangoon.  Yeah.  That's healthy, right?

Here is the conclusion that I've recently come to:  I find the notion of eating healthy for an extended period of time in a way that would account to a lifestyle change to be extremely intimidating and am, in fact, quite fearful of it.  As a result, I tend to go on a junk food craze and have lots of "last meals," so to speak.  Except, that every last meal isn't actually the LAST meal before junk food is banished from my life.  So I have last meals of junk foods for a good 2 weeks or so until I eventually settle back into my semi-healthy food style.

Obviously, this resolution needs some work...strategy and planning and what have you.  I'm thinking portion-sizing will be the key to victory.

Part Two: The Game of Life


My sister Hannah has an Xbox that she won online (because such is Hannah's life).  My aunt gave her the "Family Game Night" video game for Christmas, which includes Life (the board game) in video game form.  While we were playing it tonight, I realized how different the average life actually IS from this board game.  For example, I doubt that anyone gets $15,000 from each of their friends when they get married (last I heard, people got blenders).  Furthermore, never have I heard of someone I know finding $50,000 worth of buried treasure, or making $60,000 a year as a local hairdresser.  The only part of the game I personally related to was having a lot of loans to pay off.  Also, has anyone ever noticed that, according to this beloved childhood game, you "win" at life by having the most money when you die?  Knowing this, you're encouraged to gamble excessively and sue your friends.  Just saying...the life I want to lead would totally lose the board game version of Life.  (Please note that none of these observations stem from the fact that Hannah beat me in the game...though that is also true).

Part Three: Looping


I went to the Loop tonight with my friends Nick the Weatherman and Ashley, and had quite a lovely time.  For you non-St. Louisans, the Loop is a street of urban awesomeness.  You can google it if you want.  Tonight's Loop adventure centered on Thai food and Frozen Yogurt.  But, what's super cool is that Nick, Ashley, and I have been friends for 10 years, after going to school together for only 1 year (our 8th grade year, when we were all rerouted through the newly constructed Wildwood Middle School before branching out to different high schools).  10+ years of friendship spawning from 1 year of school, when we were all 13 and therefore at the most stupid and annoying points of our lives (no offense, 13 year olds, you'll understand one day).  That's dedication.  We'll go months without seeing each other, and pick up right where we left off whenever we get together next.  I feel blessed to have friends like them :)

1 comment:

  1. I liked all three parts. I don't know which one is my favorite. The first one really made me want to have a few junk food last meals myself, the second made me want to play Life really bad and the third made me all warm and fuzzy and nostalgic for The Loop. They were short but sweet. :P

    ReplyDelete