"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wake-Up Call

As I was sitting around tonight trying to think up something to write about, I got some much-needed, and yet difficult perspective when my friend Brandon directed me to his blog post for the day.  The post is about the absolutely despicable behavior of the Westboro "Baptist" "Church" (in quotations because they don't merit either of those designations), which plans to protest the funerals of Tuscon shooting victims, even including that of a 9-year-old girl.  I can't even begin to imagine how the grief of the girl's parents would be compounded by the presence of angry protesters screaming that their child died as punishment for her sins (as if a 9-year-old can have that many sins at all).  In his post, Brandon then went on to highlight all the different ways that people in Tuscon are working to counteract the hate of the Westboro group, from building giant angel wings to shield the view of the protesters from the family's eyes and giving Westboro members radio time to air their hateful beliefs in exchange for a cessation of the funeral protests, despite the effect this would have on the stations.  Brandon's blog post can be found here: http://bpennsbasics.blogspot.com/2011/01/westboro-baptist-church.html

After reading his post, I was moved by the juxtaposition of good and evil in this situation.  It's rare that such a dualistic representation of good and evil manifests in society; things are seldom so clean cut when it comes to morality.  I started looking up articles about Christina Greene (the 9-year-old victim).  Although aware of the tragedy, I hadn't really given it much direct thought and contemplation.  Expectedly, I was sickened, horrified, and upset as I scrolled through articles explaining how the bright elementary student had gone to the event as a way to learn more about the government, and how, as a child born on 9/11, her life had been bookended in tragedy.  It's difficult to accept the complete senselessness of the situation...no child should have to experience such a death. 

Worse yet, millions of children die in such tragedy on a daily basis around the world, and their deaths go completely unacknowledged.

As Christina's face looked up at me out of my computer screen, radiant in the innocent beauty of childhood, I felt another pang of disgust...at myself.

I am the first person to admit that I can be a negative person; largely, this blog was born out of unhappiness about my life circumstances.  But compared with such tragedy, especially such tragedy in the lives of children, what have I possibly to complain about?  My supportive family?  My opportunity for tuition-free graduate study?  My comfortable apartment?  My abundance of friends?  My overweight body (a result of having TOO MUCH food to eat)?  The opportunities I've had to travel the world?  My job that perfectly combines my two passions?  The money lent to me by the government to cover living expenses while in school?  The car accident I survived?  Even my lack of a romantic relationship, which is consistently one of the greatest personal struggles in my life, is preferable to an abusive relationship or unhappy marriage.

I am blessed beyond measure.  And if I'm being perfectly honest, more often than not I couldn't care less.

Christina Greene, like so many children in the world, has known tragedy like I have never experienced; yet how often do I get angry at God for the petty "problems" in my life?  God has given me an elaborate banquet of the finest delicacies, and I'm complaining that the cake is chocolate instead of vanilla.  I sit around in completely unmerited depression, while I've been given a blessed life that I am absolutely certain I don't deserve.  

I don't know why Christina Greene's young life ended in the chaos of senseless tragedy while mine has been allowed to continue.  I don't know why God allows such evils to take place in the world.  In theology, the study of reconciling a loving God with the presence of evil in the world is called theodicy.  I remembered the term for exams because it is pronounced like "the odyssey" - and certainly, there is no more difficult task than explaining how God and evil can coexist.  

I'm not attempting to explain how the Tuscon shooting works into God's great plan for the world.  I have absolutely no idea how to make sense of the deaths of Christina Greene and the other victims.  I do realize, though, that I have nothing to complain about.  

When you only think about yourself, the concepts of "positivity" and "negativity" become extremely subjective.  If you've nothing to compare your life to but prior circumstances of your own life, you're bound to get caught up in the insignificant "hardships" of daily life.  Open your eyes: you are blessed.

I often forget why I wanted to go into ministry.  In a way, reading about Christina Greene has helped me remember: being given such a blessed life by God, in my opinion, mandates giving something in return.  Not that God requires it...but how can you accept love without returning it?  Furthermore, the preposterous protests of the Westboro group reminds me of my desire to help expose people to a genuine relationship with God, a Christianity that is above the corruption of many of the world's "Christians."  

Today, I want to challenge you, whoever you are, to look into Christina's eyes.  Really step back and look at the blessings in your life, and then consider your attitude and opinions as far as your life is concerned.  You might be surprised at what you find.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Celia. You have such a way with words and you're right... so many of us are so blessed yet we don't take the time to look at it like that. Instead we focus on how bad our days are, looking at everything negative. Even when I wrote my blog that aspect seemed to escape me. I'm glad you wrote about this because I need to realize how blessed I am as well.

    Thank you.
    And once again... great blog like always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. !!!I loved that post. I have been so broken up about this Tucson Tragedy and I haven't been able to look at a picture of that girl without crying. Accept just now after I read your post. I felt better thinking on your words and considering how lucky I am to be who I am and where I am. You're two tons of awesome girl. I hope people read your post. It was the best!

    ReplyDelete