"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Slump

Everyone has their little slumps on their way to goal accomplishing; I would call today a slump.

First of all, I accidentally slept until 11:00...I had two alarms set for 9:00 and don't remember turning them off, so I don't really know how that happened.  I've discovered that sleeping in late REALLY messes up my productivity groove.  It's weird, because I always consider sleeping in a luxury (and I suppose it is), but it's really not all that beneficial.  I'm finding out that it's better to stay on a regular sleep schedule as far as energy is concerned.  I'm sure someone told me that along the way...I believe them now.

The morning (time designation loosely applied) was fairly productive: I did my daily CCFOF research, and then went and sat out by the pool for a couple hours and accomplished a fair amount of class reading...unfortunately, I was being proactive and mostly reading ahead for a book review due in a few weeks, so I still have a lot to get through before Tuesday (Monday reading is happily completed).  It was a beautiful 72 degree day here in Texas, and I brought two books with me, allowing me to switch readings whenever I got too bored with one (an effective strategy, I discovered).

The other problem with sleeping late is that it throws off my meal schedule; so around 4:00 I got hungry for lunch and retreated to the room where the rest of the day was spent in a general slump.  After eating a healthy-portion-size meal I was still oddly hungry (despite significant chopping of portion sizes lately, I haven't had this problem before...and don't worry, I haven't been eating an unhealthily small amount or anything, I've just been paying attention to proper portion sizes, which are quite smaller than my past idea of a "portion").  This kind of led into a slump of junk food for the rest of the night, including at various points pizza rolls, hot chocolate, and peanut butter on a spoon.  Yeah...I'd call that a slump.  I was also feeling kind of sick this afternoon (pre-peanut butter and hot chocolate, those were attempts to use sugar to perk me up a bit)...as a result, the entirety of the evening was spent watching "I Love Lucy" episodes and "The Royal Tenenbaums" on TV (I actually liked that movie a whole lot...it's filmed in an artistic way that's really reminiscent of "Amelie," which I love).  After that, I spent countless hours on Facebook/Youtube, and eventually pulled the Wii Fit out not to exercise, but to do a body test (which I've committed to doing every other day).

Actually, the body test was a pleasant surprise: in the past 10 days or so, I've lost 5 pounds and lowered my BMI by 0.8!  I haven't even been working that hard either...just eating healthier foods in proper portions, and exercising for half an hour most days.  I'm rather proud of myself, if I do say so.  I'm sure that I won't keep losing weight this quickly...but still, this is the first time that I've set out to lose weight, and am actually accomplishing it.  It's a nice feeling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment