"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Monday, June 13, 2011

Another Day, Another Destiny

That title comes from the song "One Day More" from Les Miserables.  That song (well, really just the first stanza) has kind of become my life motto recently, somewhat unwittingly...it just pops up in my head all the time..."one day more, another day, another destiny, this never-ending road to Calvary..."  Could be a seminary metaphor, yes?

Anyway, today was another day of plunging headfirst into paradigms and word tenses and translations and whatnot, for we have yet another exam tomorrow.  I'm feeling pretty good about it...mostly because I made up songs to remember the principal parts of the four verbs that we have to be able to spit out of our brains onto the paper (there's a mental image for you).  So now I can sing you a rousing rendition of "Don't Stop Believing" all about the Greek verb "erxomai" (I go), or a heartfelt performance of "Mama Who Bore Me" all about the verb "luo" (I loose/destroy)  If you're feeling patriotic, I can sing about the verb "grapho" (I write) to the tune of "America the Beautiful", or if you're going through a bad breakup I'd be happy to sing about "ago" (I lead) to "Rolling in the Deep."  So yeah, I'm going to rock this test out...literally.

I must tell you though, it was a rough Monday.  Mondays are always rough because of the post-weekend effects (I want to call it a weekend-hangover, even though there wasn't any alcohol involved), and today was extra intense since it was a pre-exam day.  Class was interminable because I had a horrible stomach ache the whole time, and then I nearly fell asleep in the library while studying during the afternoon (literally - I had put my head down on the table to rest for a few minutes and was just starting to enter that jumbled-thought pre-dream phase when all of a sudden what was left of my consciousness began shrieking "WAKE UP, YOU'RE IN A LIBRARY!!!").  Then I went on to a 2-hour review session that I didn't feel was really necessary for me to be successful on the exam, but which I didn't want to skip and then regret missing later.  And then more studying in the evening.  Except that the home studying also included a great deal of guitar playing, a decent amount of phone chatting, and a fair amount of lake-walking.  And eating a microwaveable corndog and fries for dinner.  And of course, the songwriting.  Can't forget that.

All in all, it was a LONG day.  The more the summer term goes on, the more ragged I feel I become.  But I'm hanging on...one day at a time.

Another day, another destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment