"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Getting Back to Basics

At the halfway point through the year, I've been thinking about this blog project and kind of reviewing in my head how it has been going.  (Note: I have no idea if today is ACTUALLY halfway through the year, but it's June, and that's the middle of the year, so we're going with it).

Generally, I'm pleased with how things are going.  For one thing, I love being able to write more, and I like that I've managed to garner something of an audience - it may be small, but it's widely varied.  And although I don't write the most witty or heartfelt or fabulous things on a daily basis (see the last two day's posts), my little self-reflection through writing experiment has been proving successful, I think.  When I started this blog, it was because I was unhappy with practically everything in my life, and wanted to make some changes, and I wanted to make myself accountable to those changes.  And I'm definitely happier than I was when I started this blog, so that's a good sign.

But lately, I think I've been getting away from my goal-focus, and I want to change that.  While I like writing witty reflections on daily life, the real point of this blog was to make this a year of living proactively...and I think that lately I've slacked off a bit on the proactive living.  I want to get back to that.

For the most part, I think that I did well in this goal today.  Granted, I didn't get up in time for church (overslept), but I exercised early, worked early, talked to my family and a couple friends, got some Greek studying done, and went to my Bible study tonight.  I like my days to be busy, yet somehow I fall frequently into the internet/tv trap; so I was very pleased with how today went.

In the spirit of proactive living, I've also thrown myself out on a limb in the dating world, which I may reveal more on later...right now you get to live in mystery, but I think it will be good for me.  Now that I've gotten more comfortable and confident with my life here, I want to start pushing myself out of my comfort zone - sometimes to make real change, you have to take some risks.  I also want to get back to reading the Bible on a daily basis - a habit that has ironically fallen by the wayside during my first year of seminary.

So starting tomorrow (let's be real, I'm about to go to bed), I'm going to start focusing on those initial goals again.  Here are the five I'm going to tackle first...

-Build Self-Confidence
-Rejuvenate Relationship with God
-Maintain a Budget
-Exercise Daily/Eat Healthy
-Be More Open

Yep, I'm taking on the big ones.  Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment