"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Here's the Problem.

Greek is consuming my life.  Literally.  Let me outline my day for you:

7:15am - Arise and greet the day.  This moment becomes progressively less enthusiastic with each passing day of my intensive summer class.

8:00am - Leave the apartment and drive to campus.

8:30am-12:30pm - Greek class.  Yes, for four hours.  Yes, every day.

12:30pm - Leave campus, return to apartment

12:45pm - Eat lunch

1:30pm - Work on stuff for my job

3:00pm - Drive to library

3:15-6:00pm - Study for tomorrow's Greek exam

6:00pm - Leave campus, return to apartment

6:15pm - Eat dinner.

7:00pm-8:40pm - Work on Greek lessons that are not on tomorrow's test, but will be covered in class tomorrow after the exam.

8:40pm - Greek symbols stop making sense, head stops spinning, start panicking because I have 3 untouched lessons and one with incomplete exercisese.

8:40pm-8:45pm - Panic.

8:45pm-9:00pm - Take a shower to try and wake up a bit.

9:00-10:00 - Work on horribly confusing Greek lessons that I understand in theory but contain translation exercises that I can't successfully complete.

And that brings you up to right now.  And that is the problem.

As it stands right now, I have a pounding headache, I'm exhausted, and I can tell that my brain has shut off for the evening as far as Greek is concerned.  The more I read, the more confused I become, and I am starting to be afraid that continuing working on these lessons tonight will jeopardize my ability to do well on the exam tomorrow.  But, the syllabus has us up to Lesson 11 tomorrow, and right now I am only up to Lesson 9, with both Lessons 8 and 9 only partially completed because the exercises are confusing the heck out of me.  I even find myself not recognizing or understanding things in these exercises that are ON the test tomorrow, and that is freaking me out.

I think I need to stop working.

But if I stop working, I'll have like six lessons to cover over the weekend - each of which takes like 2-3 hours to complete.

I appear to have reached an impasse.  And it sucks.

So here's what I think I'm going to do.

I am going to review the things on the test some more, and go to bed.  Because this exam tomorrow is 20% of my grade, and hopefully I'll be able to catch up over the weekend.  And anyway, we probably won't make it to Lesson 10 in class tomorrow, and I've done at least some of Lessons 8 and 9, and I'm so lost on the exercises that it wouldn't hurt to do them after having discussed them in class.

I need a break.  I haven't even had time to watch a movie since I started this class because I can't justify not working on something for an entire 2 hours.  The weekend can't come soon enough.  After class lets out at 12:30 tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to come home and watch my DVR recording of last week's episode of The Bachelorette.  And tomorrow night I'll snuggle up and watch a movie.

And then I will spend the rest of the weekend working on Greek, and then start into another crazy week.

Sigh...

1 comment: