"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Monday, August 22, 2011

Day to Day

I wrote a couple of days ago about living out God's will on a day to day basis instead of trying to figure out God's plan for your life and THEN acting it out.  I'm discovering that this outlook, besides being more practical than the latter, also helps tremendously with NERVES.

I get nervous about things.  My parents make fun of me because I have a "nervous cough" - as its name implies, this is a specific way that I cough when I'm nervous.  Hang around me long enough and you'll probably be able to identify it.  In any case, I get nervous about stuff, particularly stuff that is unfamiliar or unpredictable.  You may recall my recent mishap of texting my now-boyfriend that I was nervous about seeing him, when I meant to send that text to a close female friend.  Lately, I've been getting nervous about a new year, a new job, and new classes.

But, in being nervous about these things, I've discovered that my nervous radar has been much less frantic than usual.  In fact, my nervousness of late has tended more towards a little blip on the radar instead of sounding major alarms.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that this is a side effect of the new outlook about doing God's will in terms of the day-to-day, instead of the indefinite.

Mostly, what I have been discovering lately is the relentless continuation of days.  Days are pretty short, in the grand scheme of eternity.  And, while days do add up over time to equal an eternity, individual days themselves are pretty insignificant.  My mantra in times of anxiety tends to be: "It'll be over this time tomorrow."  Focusing on a day at a time is better than focusing on forever, I'm discovering.

This doesn't mean that I'm not PLANNING for long-term things, of course - I wouldn't be concerned with living on a budget or studying to get good grades if that was the case.  But, in terms of nervousness, taking things a day at a time is my new best friend.

In reality, this is an unnecessarily introspective post to give context to how I'm nervous about my second day on the job tomorrow, and my first day of classes...but I'm not THAT nervous.  My nerves are more like little "eek!" moments instead of all-consuming dread (though that would be a bit exaggerated, given the circumstances).  But in any case, it'll be over this time tomorrow.

In entirely unrelated news, I made a strawberry-raspberry galette today.  It was tasty and pretty...excluding the syrup that leaked out when I tried to check the bottom to see if it was done.


So here's to galettes, and living life day to day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment