"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sunday, August 21, 2011

First Day of Work: Check!

I had my first day of work at the church where I'll be serving my internship this year!  I arrived at 9am for breakfast before the service; so, my first image of my mentor pastor "on the job" (aka, not formally interviewing me) was scrambling eggs in the kitchen.  I kind of love that.  Sundays are big at this church...it's the kind of church where the entire congregation stays around for upwards of 6 hours.  Throughout the day I attended breakfast, morning devotional, an adult Sunday school class, the (lengthy) worship service, the young adult Sunday school class, lunch, and a United Methodist Women meeting before meeting briefly with my mentor pastor (now far removed from scrambling eggs) to discuss my schedule for the upcoming week.

So all in all, a busy first day!  My focus for this month is just to become familiar with all the ministries of the church, meet the members of the church (I seriously met about half of them today), and just generally learn my way around the church where I'll be working this year!  My first impressions are very good...the church is wonderful in its hospitality, and over and over the members of the church welcomed me to their "family."  I really think it'll be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment