"The only way of catching a train I have ever discovered is to miss the train before." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Friday, November 25, 2011

Not So Black Friday

My family doesn't participate in the Black Friday madness; we used to do it back when we were all a bit younger and a bit more foolish, but now the morning after Thanksgiving is meant snuggled in bed asleep until mid-morning.  But today, we did embark on another holiday tradition: heading down to historic St. Charles, MO to wander about the shops, and see the general Christmas festivities: Santa's of the world, 19th century-style carolers, and lots and lots of pine boughs and ribbons.  We usually don't go to St. Charles until later in December, but perhaps because I won't be back home until Christmas day, we decided to push the tradition up a few weeks, to the very beginning of the Christmas season.

Check out some pictures from the day!

Some of the buildings on Historic Main Street in St. Charles, MO

Mom peeking around some pine boughs

Carolers!  A different bunch followed us around for most of the day

Dad and Hannah :)

Me and Mom :)

Chillin' with some Nutcrackers

Parents being precious :)
After a fun afternoon of window shopping and Christmas merriment, my sister and I attempted to make mini gingerbread houses.  The construction left something to be desired...

Fail.
...but my final result turned out all right :)


The evening concluded with a rousing game of that 1996 classic board game, "Electronic Mall Madness" (emphasis on the "electronic") with my mom and my sister.  My parents have been cleaning out the basement, and this game was found to be still intact and properly working.  It was a fun flashback.  For the record, Hannah won.

Got my shopping list, got my debit card, got my money.

Check out that awesome game board.
All in all, it was a very, very good day of good old fashioned family fun :)  Much better than camping out in front of Walmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment